- A fireplace. With a fire, of course. And not those weenie gas log things. I am not at all a fan of the click-on fire place! A fire need logs... real logs. I know there will be those who scoff at that statement, but for me, it is how it has to be.
- Home baked bread. Notice I said "home baked"? That's because I meant home baked. Not home warmed up from a celophane wrapper. I mean, stirred up, poured up, and baked up to a rich crusty browness. Slice it thick and smother with real butter beforing toasting it on an iron skillet. Mmmm....Mmmm! I think my heart just skipped a beat.
"Not all sourdough starter is equal. Not all sourdough starter starts. Sometimes, sourdough starter starts and then stops. And then other times, sourdough starter starts and won't even slow down, much less stop! But that's a good thing, right?
- Measuring cup that measures in ounces
- Food scale
- Quart jar or other glass container
- All purpose flour *King Arthur All Purpose Unbleached Organic is the best for this. If you do not have this, it is worth the trip to the market to get it. You will see why on Day 5 of my project. :(
- Room temperature, non chlorinated water. You can buy spring water, or let the tap water sit out 24 hours so chlorine can release out of it. I use my Rock Island Springs water that I collect when I go for hikes.